HIGHLIGHTS & SUCCESS STORIES
ACTION PLAN TO PROMOTE RESPONSIBLE FATHERHOOD
The following are updated samplings of the work on the Action Plan by Sector.
Objective: Establish a business advisory committee; incentivize responsible fatherhood; target new hires.
Scott Griffith (Lee’s Chicken) is piloting an outreach to new male employees that are fathers with ULM
- One of Scott’s store managers joined the POPS Club
- Scott volunteered to co-chair the Summit Planning Committee w/ Andy Wilson
- Scott serves on the 2014 FatherFest Planning Committee. He has lead the logo redesign project, and the food committee.
Jeff Wyler Auto Mall sponsored the Celebrate Fatherhood event 2011-13. Is working with FCC Director Eli Williams on a 2014 father absence awareness raising campaign.
Chamber of Commerce President Mike McDorman invited Eli Williams to present on the impact of father absence on the local economy at a Chamber Meeting in Spring of 2013. Is serving as advisor on Fathering Institute project.
Objective: Promote engagement of fathers in community and school improvement
· Lincoln Neighborhood POPS Club was established in 2012
Ö POPS Club established a Safety Patrol at Lincoln Elementary School in 2012
o Completed the second year of mentoring Safety Patrol members at the school
Ö Sponsored a Dads Breakfast at the school
Ö The club organized a Family Kickball Tournament for the 2013 Fatherhood Celebration
Ö Is participating in Lincoln Promise Neighborhood activities
Ö George Young, club president joined the Healthy Fathering Taskforce and committed to leading his club to start POPS Clubs in other neighborhoods
Ö POPS Club was represented at the Not In Our Town event in May 2013
· Center City Association Director Elaine Morris Roberts is interested in joining Healthy Fathering Taskforce
· County Fair Board’s Allan Hess is interested in joining Healthy Fathering Taskforce
Community Activism Sector
Objective: Seek broader adoption of the Community Fatherhood Policy. Grow the Celebrate Fatherhood event.
· Fatherhood Clark County was represented at the Not In Our Town event on May 18, 2013 addressing Community Violence
Objectives: Educate mothers and teachers on the importance of a father in a child’s life. Engage local University.
· Springfield City School District Superintendent Dave Estrop is a member of Fatherhood Commission of Clark County
Ö Springfield School District has supported/promoted/participated in the Celebration and My Dad Rocks Art/Essay Contest since their inception
o The Learning Café hosted the 2013 Fatherhood Celebration at Springfield High School
Ö Has offered volunteers
Higher Education Sector
Clark State Community College is working with FCC Director on the Fathering Institute.
Objective: Promote responsible fatherhood within congregations.
- Pastor Ernest Brown joined the Healthy Fathering Taskforce & chairs the Clergy Summit Planning Committee
- Volunteered to man the 2013 Fatherhood Clark County booth at the Fair
The Clergy Summit Planning Committee hosted a Clergy Leadership Summit on May 5, 2014. 31 faith leaders attended.
Eli Williams has presented on Fatherhood in several churches, and other faith gatherings
Objective: Strengthen Clark County Fatherhood Commission to anchor the responsible fatherhood initiative,
· Springfield Mayor Warren Copeland is a member of Fatherhood Commission of CC
· Clark County, through Job & Family Services of Clark County funded Urban Light Ministries for two Nurturing Fathers classes in 2013
· Clark County through JFSCC via Family and Children First Council is providing ongoing financial support for Fatherhood Clark County
· The State of Ohio through Ohio Commission on Fatherhood has contracted with ULM in support of The POPS Project in 2013-15. This is the second round which began in 2012
Ö The new award is a Regional Grant for Clark, Montgomery, and Greene
· The Federal Government/HHS/ACF through Marriage Resource has contracted with ULM for the provision of On My Shoulders classes in 2013/14
· Child Support of JFSCC’s Parents as Partners staff works closely with Fatherhood Clark County on projects
· Resource Kiosks are placed at Child Support, Children Services, and WorkPlus
Objective: Promote healthy fathering in Clark County.
A Resource Kiosk is placed at Rocking Horse Community Health Center, and Health District
- Rocking Horse wasthe site of the 2013 Leadership Summit on Fatherhood
Michael-John Smith, RN of CC Combined Health District co-chairs the FatherFest Planning Committee
Law Enforcement Sector (Originally combined with Judicial Sector)
Objective: Provide fatherhood services in the jail.
· In 2013 Sherriff Gene Kelly welcomed fatherhood practitioners to offer the entire suite of classes to incarcerated dads in the jail
Objective: Provide fatherhood classes as an alternative to incarceration.
· Prosecutor Andy Wilson joined the Healthy Fathering Taskforce
Ö Is now making referrals to Fatherhood Classes as alternative to incarceration
Ö Committed to promoting Fatherhood classes within Criminal Justice System
Ö Volunteered to co-chair the Summit Planning Committee w/ Scott Griffith
· Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Monnin is serving as Judicial Advisor to Fatherhood Commission
Ö Wynette Carter-Smith, Court Administrator is a member of Fatherhood Commission of Clark County.
Media Sector (Originally combined with Entertainment Sector)
Objectives: Consistent promotion of responsible fatherhood and Celebration activities in the media.
· WHIO Radio News Reporter and Springfield News/Sun Columnist Darryl Bauer was Master of Ceremony at the 2013 Fatherhood Celebration Kick Off Dinner/MDR Awards Presentation
· Springfield News/Sun published three articles related to the event
· The Springfield Paper reported on the MDR Contest
Ö Merged their Father of the Year Contest with MDR and provided additional prizes for the winners
· Singer/songwriter Vaughn Anthony and his management group through their Be About It campaign is partnered in the 2013 Fatherhood Celebration
Ö Sponsored the Friday (June 14th) evening kickoff dinner, Saturday (June 15th) morning breakfast, and a celebrity basketball game (fundraiser)
Ö Torrey Smith and Anquan Bolden of Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens were special guests
Ö Local sports notables also participated
Objective: Increase private funding support.
- Turner Foundation Executive Director John Landess joined the Fatherhood Commission of Clark County in 2014.
The Community Health Foundation sponsored FatherFest 2014.
Social Services / Not for Profit Sector
Objective: Provide resources for fathers
· Social Service agencies are heavily involved in the annual FatherFest and My Dad ROCKS annual events
The Planning Committee is co-chaired by Vicki Houseman of Child Support.
Ö Non-profit organizations participate with resource tables and games at the event
· DADS Resource Guide are distributed through agencies
· · Eli Williams made a presentation to Children Services All Staff meeting
Ö This resulted in a new partnership with Urban Light Ministries
· Air Guard Base Commander Col. Gregory N. Schnulo expressed interest in fatherhood issues related to military families. Is an HFT prospect. Williams will meet with him in August 2013.